The Battle-Friedman House was built about 1835 by Alfred Battle, a North Carolina native who had come to Tuscaloosa in 1821. The house and its outbuildings occupied the entire city block. Originally, the house consisted of the two front parlours, central hallway and the rooms above. The columned porch and the rooms at the back of the house were added at various times before the Civil War. In 1875, the house was bought from the Battles by Bernard Friedman, a local merchant who had immigrated from Hungary. It remained in the Friedman family until 1965, when it was willed to the city of Tuscaloosa by Hugo Friedman. The house is operated by the Tuscaloosa County Preservation Society and is available for rental for weddings, receptions etc.