One and Only: Top Places to get a Cold Treat!
Everyone knows that the state of Alabama really brings the heat during the summer months. With temperatures rising well above 90 degrees, you’ll definitely want to beat the heat with some of Tuscaloosa’s #OneandOnly places to get cold treats.
1. Summer Snow: Making snowballs since 1988, Summer Snow is one of Tuscaloosa’s favorite snow cone spots. Finely shaved ice and delicious, rich flavorings, Summer Snow is a must-visit place to beat the summer heat. The menu features over 40 different flavor options and they also have a VIP List that highlights some of their most popular flavors. Open Monday-Saturday from 1:00-7:00 p.m.
2. Steel City Pops: Serving gourmet popsicles since 2012, Steel City Pops is sure to make your taste buds sing. Not only are the popsicles incredibly delicious, but they are also healthy. Steel City Pops’ popsicles are made from natural ingredients, no refined sugars or HFCS, and they use local produce when available to make their pops. They’re also vegan-friendly and gluten-free. The pops, which come in a variety of flavors, are categorized as either ‘fruity’ or ‘creamy’.
3. Ingram Farms: I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! For a sweet treat in a friendly country setting, stop by Ingram Farms. Serving at least 12 delicious flavors of Mayfield ice cream and select Blue Bell flavors daily, Ingram Farms is hands down one of the best places to stop for a cold, creamy treat. While you are getting a tasty treat, you can also shop for fresh local produce.
4. FIVE Java: Coffee is one of America’s favorite beverages. Typically served hot, coffee gives people their daily boosts of energy. During the summer months, you may want to opt for something a little colder that will still give you that same boost of energy. FIVE Java, located downtown beside FIVE Bar, serves some of the best iced coffee in town. They also have a delicious breakfast and lunch menu.
5. Orange Leaf: Fro-yo (frozen yogurt) is a delicious, healthier alternative to ice cream that anyone can enjoy. Orange Leaf, located on Jack Warner Parkway and McFarland Boulevard, is a self-serve frozen yogurt shop that allows you to create your own dessert. Their traditional flavors, along with no-sugar-added, gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan alternatives, are all easily customized with a generous selection of do-it-yourself toppings.
1. Taco Mama: Summer time and margaritas; the perfect combination. Taco Mama serves margaritas by the glass or pitcher seven days a week. They also have drink and food specials every Tuesday for ‘Taco Tuesday’. Whether frozen or on the rocks, margaritas are a great refreshing adult beverage that will surely cool you down in this Alabama heat.
2. Avenue Pub: Delicious and cold, cocktails from Avenue Pub are sweet treats that every adult will love. Stop by Avenue Pub during happy hour, Monday- Friday from 3:00-6:00 p.m., and try one of their six signature cocktails.
3. 301 Bistro, Bar, and Beer Garden: Located in a charming, historic train station (circa 1912) in downtown Tuscaloosa, 301 is serving some of their tastiest cocktails this summer. Some of the options on their summer menu include; the New Orleans Hurricane, Strawberry Station, and the Watermelon Sparkler. Stop by 301 during their happy hour specials from 4:00-6:00 p.m. and cool off with some refreshing cocktails.
4. Loosa Brews: In honor of Tuscaloosa being county number 63, Loosa Brews has 63 craft beers on tap; many of which are brewed here in the state of Alabama. They also sell packaged beer and wine. With so many great options to choose from at Loosa Brews, you are sure to find the perfect cold treat!
5. Catch 22: Flavor-infused cocktails are always in order on a sweet summer night. Catch 22 is known for having some of the best infused vodkas in town. They also serve adult snow cones called freezes, which come in grape, sour apple and blue raspberry. Think of it as the popular Summer Snow, but the adult version (*winks eye).
Written by: Adrian Gee, TTS Intern